WELCOME

Joseph and I welcome you to our world--the world of writing and photography and all that is involved with being published authors. We hope you will come to know us...and our writings.

Sunday, December 4, 2011

WHEN HEAVEN SMILED

(Taken from Treasured Memories)


One early morning after awakening, I dressed, did my morning routine, and prepared to leave for my daily church service. I knew my spirit needed uplifting.

Several days prior, I had undergone surgery to remove a growth on my face. What I thought would be a simple burning of the area resulted in an agonizing one and one-half hour surgery and seventeen stitches along the left side of my nose and underneath my eye. The days of waiting for test results were tense.  Upon learning I was cancer free, how joyful I was.

Following the thirty-minute mass, worship and prayer, I came away with such peace and contentment, knowing God would help make my day. Driving home, I pondered on the day’s activities and decided on a course of action.

Several tasks came to mind...a visit to the nearby Post Office and a trip to the local dollar store. A very important package had to get in the mail before noon, and I needed supplies for home maintenance.

I changed from my dress clothes. Breakfast, for me, was some left-over coffee and a bagel on the run. Rushing into must-do tasks isn’t feasible, but I had chores around the house that need tending to upon my return.

Upon my arrival at the Post Office, I step out of my car with package in hand. I take a number. Within ten minutes, the Post Office has my package.

When leaving, I notice a young dark-haired woman about twenty-four years of age, assisted with a walker, walked slowly toward the door. My heart felt pity for her. Although she was capable of opening the push-button door, I rushed ahead to open it for her.

“Thank you sir, but I can manage,” she said, giving me a friendly smile.

Walking behind her, watching as she descended each step and then stepped over the curb. I breathed a deep sigh as she safely entered her car. God’s love was shown to a stranger by my good deed.


Next stop was the discount store to purchase supplies needed for in-home repairs. I parked my silver Honda and made my way into the store where I found the cashier stocking shelves.

The path I took led me past a greeting card department where an elderly lady stood. An eerie sensation swelled inside me; I smiled and thought, "She certainly reminds me of Grandmother." I continued on my path to the items of interest.

Suddenly, the elderly lady appeared next beside me. She wore a kindly smile on her time-worn face. Without a word, she held up two greeting cards.

She must not have enough money for the cards. I gladly handed her a dollar for the two cards, and she gave me a beautiful smile.

With my items selected and in a basket, I make my way to the checkout counter. With my transaction completed, the thought came to me that the elderly lady probably didn’t have change for the sales tax. I step back to get one last glimpse of the lady who reminded me of my grandma and found her in line. I tossed a dime, telling the cashier, “That’s for the tax on her cards.”

“Dobry rano,” I said to the elderly lady, and she smiled. Walking away was not easy; I hated to leave. Was this a test from God? I feel it might have been. Now, I’ve done two good deeds in a row.

With two errands, and two good deeds, accomplished, it was time to return home and begin my in-home repairs. However, it would be with a lighter heart than expected.

Waiting in the wings upon my return, I had to make a visit to my next door neighbor.

I rang the door bell and waited.

The door opened, and my neighbor greeted me with a smile, “Come on in,” he said. “Let’s go to the dining room upstairs, so we can talk.” I followed him to the dining room. He and I share a bit of sparing and trying to outdo the other with jokes.

Glancing at my watch, I knew it was time for me to get to the repair work at hand. Before leaving, though, I wanted to learn how the family that was in dire straits was doing. The news was not good, and it saddened my heart to learn of the seriousness of the situation.

Slowly, I reach for my wallet, pulling it from my pocket and reached inside for my contribution.

“Eddie, I know the misery this poor family is facing. I know what it’s like to endure pain and suffering. I hope this contribution will be of help.” For the third time today, my small contribution helped someone else.

I tell this story of one significant day, March 1, 2011, where my day began with attending church and ending with heaven’s smiling face upon me. My fervent hope is that kindness, hope, and charity will always prevail.

“Thank You, God. Heaven will always glow in my heart.”



Joseph A. Zapalac

No comments:

Post a Comment